U12 INDOOR SOCCER
We believe that 1 vs 1 situations are at the core of youth player development, but it is vital that players are also able to recognize space, teammates, and opposition around them, thus the importance of the games-based approach in the Academy Program.
Research into coaching practice within soccer commonly reports that coaches employ a “traditional” approach to skill acquisition. Traditional coaching approaches assume that technique needs to be mastered prior to game play, but these approaches focus on the practice of technical skills often in overly simplistic and unpressurized situations that do not mimic the demands of real game play. This direct approach can create a separation between technique and tactical knowledge, leading to a disconnect between practice and game play where players are not able to respond to game situations.
MSB United believes that the game-based approach is the most effective way to improve decision-making, skill execution, and physical fitness in youth soccer.
Our Academy team will design sessions based on the main moments of the game (attacking, defending & transitions), mainly emphasizing the following four core skills:
- First touch
- Striking the ball
- Running with the ball
- 1 vs 1 attacking and defending situations
Please review the following information in regards to MSB United's COVID-19 Training Guidelines, and CMSA's COVID-19 guidelines that will be required for game attendance.
This information is subject to change and will be updated as the pandemic continues to develop.
Developmental Soccer (Tier A/B): Maximum $325.00 for up to 22 sessions*
Recreational Soccer (Tier C/D): Maximum $175 for up to 11 sessions*
*Number of sessions will depend on available training space and will be confirmed with each team.
- Team practices
- Tier I-II: up to 22 MSB Academy sessions
- Tier III-V: up to 11 MSB Academy sessions
- CMSA league games. (Tournaments are team optional and an additional fee)
- Training shirt, shorts and socks.
- Game jersey (to be returned at the end of the season)
Indoor shoes and shin guards are not supplied but must be worn at all practices and games.
We accept the following payment methods:
- Credit Card (plus a ~3% surcharge for processing). Credit Card payments may be made in full or split into periodic instalments.
- E-transfer sent directly to email@example.com with the player name in the memo field.
- Cheques mailed immediately after registration to:
MSB United Soccer Club
300 - 8120 Beddington Blvd NW
Calgary, AB T3K 2A8
- Cash (payment must be arranged with our treasurer directly.)
- Kidsport or Jumpstart applications. (Please notify the treasurer if you are making applications for funding and then forward your acceptance email to the treasurer once you receive notifications from those organizations.)
You will be asked to select your preferred volunteer position from a list of available positions and we will do our best to accommodate your request. (Check out our Volunteer Page for descriptions.) At the end of the season you may be refunded the $100 fee for completing approved volunteer hours.
If you would prefer to pay the $100 and do not wish to volunteer, simply select "OPT OUT OF VOLUNTEERING."
**Please note that volunteering during your child's game or practice for regular activities such as linesman, field marshall, bench parent, scorekeeping or team equipment manager, does not qualify you for a volunteer refund. This is a regular part of participating on a soccer team.
All U12 teams will play in the Calgary Minor Soccer Association (CMSA) league.
Season: Saturday, October 31 - Sunday, March 7
Winter Break (no games): Monday, December 21 to Sunday, January 3, 2021
Tier III-V: One MSB Academy session and one team practice per week.
Day and time will be determined by your coaching staff.
Tier V: Boys and Girls play games on Sunday and/or Wednesday.
Tiers I & II will play Futsal (5 vs 5)
Tiers III-V will play Boarded Soccer (6 vs 6)
Referees scheduled and paid by CMSA.
MSB United has decided to replace the traditional team tryouts format, with a more holistic approach.
Placement of players on MSB United teams is determined by gender, age, number of players in that specific age group, player report cards from previous seasons (returning players), end of season team evaluations provided by technical team, and new players joining the club.
The team formation process involves the following steps:
- Players register with the club for the upcoming season.
- Returning players are temporarily placed on their teams from the previous season, while new players will be temporarily placed in age appropriate training groups.
- Players stay in their training groups until the CMSA preseason team registration deadline. During this time, head coaches and the MSB United Academy Team will review player report cards from the previous season (for returning players), and also evaluate returning and new players in training sessions.
- Players are now temporarily placed on their teams for the duration of the CMSA preseason. During this time, players are constantly evaluated by their coaches and Academy Team to ensure their initial placement was accurate.
- Last piece of our team formation process is finalizing the rosters for the CMSA regular season. At this stage, players may be moved to a higher/lower tier based on their performance in training sessions and games during the CMSA preseason.
Our MSB Academy Team will support each coach and provide them with weekly lesson plans and detailed activities to use in practices.
We have many experienced coaches who are willing to help mentor new coaches to make sure all of our teams succeed.
MSB United provides coaching education to all of our coaches. Starting with the Soccer Canada Community Stream Workshops and working up to the Provincial C Licence coaching certificate. To find out more about these coaching programs, visit our COACHING page.
If you are interested in coaching with MSB United, please email our Director of Coaching and we will ensure you are supported every step of the way.
MSB United Soccer Club believes that every child should have the opportunity to play.
Do you need help with funding for your child's registration fees? Both Kidsport and Jumpstart are here to help keep kids in the game. They do not apply the funding to technical training fees, but MSB has payment plans to help you out. Contact Us to find out more.